Thursday, July 29, 2010
Wednesday, July 28, 2010
So here we go first my photo's of the fruit.
Tuesday, July 27, 2010
Monday, July 26, 2010
June: The K is a nod to the counted cross-stitch I used to do before calligraphy took over. E and L were designs I've done in the past. W is copied from the Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) schwag where The Young One will be attending in the Fall.
July: Inspiration found in books. E from a color blind test. The rest of the letters came from Canadian calligrapher, Ruth Booth's Scrapbooker's Alphabet.
Five blocks have been completed. The gremlins have enjoyed making four letter words. They haven't discovered the fifth block yet. Always fun to see the words they leave behind.
Sunday, July 25, 2010
Saturday, July 24, 2010
B - applied clay
Letter B starting to take shape, tools used; brush to apply water on imprint and pointed wooden tool to shape the clay and run along edges to seal.
Fine tuning... adding more coil on each end and in the centre and shaping. Carving the edge for the border with a carving tool, still at the leatherhard stage.
Finished off by leaving to dry then sanded with a fine sanding pad for a smooth surface (in the raw stage ready for bisque).
Thursday, July 22, 2010
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
The idea is to cut tissue squares a little smaller than the 7cm backgrounds and to paste them over the ink drawn letters to soften the effect.
Using a slabroller to make my 7 x 7cm tiles, firstly, I have to allow for shrinkage...each clay body has it's own shrinkage rate and at different temperatures. In this case I've allowed for 12% shrinkage. Fingers crossed the end result will come close to the desired size!
Great skill went into the design for cutting the tile, a round tin close to 7 x 7cm. Yep... that'll work, a flaten here and a flaten there, makes for a nice 7.84 x 7.84cm (must allow for shrinkage)square'ish shape...a test drive and it's a go'er!
Patience is a must in claywork especially in the winter months. Once the slab is rolled the tile can be cut...care must be taken as clay has a memory, if it is distorted at this stage and reflatened it will remember and distort back in the final firing. So it is left until the leatherhard stage (inbetween - wet & dry) before working on it
Sunday, July 18, 2010
Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Que vont-elles donc devenir, ces lettres par semaine ? Les stocker ? Ca ne convient pas à la ligne éditoriale de la maison... ;) Les jeter ? Cela choque mon sens de l'économie... J'ai trouvé mieux... ;) Je les ai reliées en carnet... un peu comme un abécédaire... mais sans illustration... avec une reliure japonaise...
What will they then become, those letters per week? The store? It does not fit the editorial line of the house ... ;) Throw? This offends my sense of economy ... I better ... ;) I have related in the book ... just as an ABC ... ... but not illustrated with a binder Japanese ...
I am not sure of being right at the point in regards bookbinding Japanese, but I'll get to know me well ... take for example this book, I think it would I had to leave more paper letters on the left while I have focused on admission. By connecting the pipeline "chocolate", the wire traps too much margin left ...
Sunday, July 11, 2010
Voici venues les dernière lettres de la première série "lettres de la semaine pour 2010"... J'ai utilisé des alphabets dont je n'ai pas du tout l'habitude, pour une seule lettre, ça pouvait aller... Ce sera à travailler un petit peu plus tard.
Here come the last letters of the first series "Letters of the week for 2010" .. I used scripts that I have not used for a single letter, it could go ... This will work a little later.
J'ai trouvé une petite brochure de calligraphie "Anglaise"... La première partie montre les minuscules, la deuxième les majuscules, dont est issu ce "Y". Pour l'application de la couleur, j'ai utilisé l'effet "monotype"... Je devrais faire cela plus souvent. Cela donne du relief.
I found a small booklet calligraphy "Anglaise" ... The first part shows the tiny, second upper, which resulted in the "Y". For the application of color, I used the effect "monotype" ... I should do that more often. This gives relief.
Et la troisième partie de la brochure montre une interprétation plus moderne dérivé de cet alphabet "Anglaise"... imprimé ensuite d'un tampon décoratif "écriture...
And the third part of the brochure shows a more modern interpretation derived from the alphabet "English" ... then print a stamp decorative "script ...
Voilà, la première série est finie... Il ne reste plus qu'à arranger ces lettres...
So, the first series is over ... It only remains to arrange these letters ...