Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Elaine's 2nd alphabet

We got back from overseas at the end of July and yet it is only now that I have been able to work on my second alphabet. It has been very frustrating as I wanted to get started. 

My plan this time is to make a wall hanging using my collection of off-cuts from Kimono silks. The alphabet is one that I designed many years ago at a wonderful workshop that I attended in Germany with American calligrapher, Alan Blackman. The exercise was to design an alphabet based on a geometric shape, I chose the triangle. The letters aren’t always easily recognisable, but I don’t mind that. 

For the letters I am using the silks which I have appliquéd onto the calico. I placed them into 7 cm squares which I stitched on the sewing machine with black thread onto the calico background. In each alternate row I have placed an un-cut square so as to break up the overall design. 

These, as well as some of the letters are embellished in various ways with things like beads, embroidery, buttons, sequins. I might need to add extra bits and pieces of decoration, but I won’t know that until I have finished them all.
It hasn’t been ‘a letter a week’, but 2 letters a day!


3 comments:

Fiona Dempster said...

Amazing what you can do within the limits of a single shape. The alphabet has limitless design opportunities doesn't it! Really enjoying this one

Gemma Black said...

Delicate ... thank you Elaine gb

Barry said...

E Love these - I aggree with F - you have done such a creative job with a single shape. B