Saturday, August 28, 2010

August Letters - Gemma












I had a feeling these letters were going to evolve as I progressed through time. So not only do I complete the letters for the month but the previous ones get a new look as well. I have already planned the next four ... so all of these will change. Step by step, inch by inch, I am enjoying this challenge. I am imagining once I complete all twenty-six (or 27) there will be a metamorphosis.
Here you can see the letters are in their required 7cm x 7cm squares but on individual folios to be bound in multi-sections upon completion. The different media used for the letters are gouache, walnut ink, raised and burinished 23.75ct gold leaf using Brause nibs, brush, wood-block & horizon pen. Executed on Arches 300gsm hotpress watercolour paper. Questions welcome.

Enjoy! x gb

5 comments:

Kim Schoenberger said...

Very nice Gemma, looking forward to the next four!

Fiona Dempster said...

Nice balance Gemma - the different letterforms all work so well together, along with the colours you have chosen. Also - it looks like fun!

Gemma Black said...

Thank you both! At last, enjoyment!
x gb

chuckie said...

I love the mix of the letters on each square! They just look amazing!!!

callisueart said...

I especially love the Red letters! How original. Sue xx