Saturday, January 30, 2010

My lot for February

As you can see I have been able to produce my letters ‘A’ to ‘D’.




















As it turns out I have decided to do all the letters in the first alphabet in recycled brass.

Letters with curves in them will be hammered and punched and the plate itself will end up slightly curved. The heavier brass I’m using for these letters comes from the side of an old brass pot plant pots. When I cut it up the sheet just sprung flat but with a definite twist to the metal – over stretched in the manufacturing process I think. So I am working with the twist rather than heating the metal and returning it to flat.

Letters that are made up of straight lines will be done using the foldforming approach I used in the first ‘A’ I produced. This metal also comes from brass plant pots but is much thinner.

5 comments:

Fiona Dempster said...

This is a lovely set of images and works Barry - they are looking great!

Fiona

jgr said...

I love the texture and especially the 'shine' of the backgrounds.

Pam's pens, papers & stuff said...

Love your work Barry

Gemma Black said...

Hey Barry, Yes, I'd spring back into shape too if I have been moulded into something other than my true self ... you could say I'd be brassed-off! Great stuff! x x gb

Noela Mills said...

Great results, barry - with a challenging material. 22 to go!!